Monday, September 20, 2010

Facebook vs. The Good Book/Books

Our facebooks have literally become our online extension of ourselves over the past few years. Similarly, we choose what we share with the world. Every time I receive a new friend request I secretly pray it won't be someone awkward, like an aunt who thinks Ellen DeGeneres is the devil. Mainly because faking who we are is a lot easier for an individual to do to an acquaintance that will remain as such--and crazy aunts you only see once a year, etc.

Oh, and P.S.
Facebook asks you to put your religious views on your profile. Ehhh. Already an awkward conversation for new friends in a lot of settings, now my aunt and latest friend will have the opportunity to base their opinion of me by a simple answer to a question that is anything but.

So I took a poll of 10 random friends that were on my news feed--no cheating. I mainly chose from those who has birthdays today, so some may say this is rigged still.

Here are the results to a poll of 10 people, and their answers to facebook's curve ball.
( I decided to throw a few random characteristics of the people as well, so feel free to pick at that as well)


All "younger" people polled happened to be around high school/ college age, and the older man is in his late 40s, in case you were wondering.

1-->Younger-->Jewish-->Male
1-->Older-->Catholic-->Male
1-->Younger-->"No Answer"-->Male
1-->Younger-->"No Answer"-->Female
1-->Younger-->"No Answer"-->Male
1-->Younger-->Christian-->Female
1-->Younger-->Christian-Baptist-->Male
1-->Younger-->Jesus Freak--> Female
1-->Younger--> Jewish-Reform--> Male

1-->And the most interesting was a friend of mine, Tyler. He is a younger male, a year away from graduating nursing school at UAB. His interests read:

Political Views: Don't Care.
Religious Views: Same as Above.


So...

A) What is the difference between labels such as "Christian" verses "Catholic" or even "Christian-Baptist"?
          - The answer lies with the same person who asked, to be cliche.
          - In this particular example, I personally see no difference. It's almost like claiming to be a ginger, instead of a red head. It's all hair, isn't it--but of course that would be a silly metaphor.
          - My aunt will tell you a little different, however.

B) Who really cares?
       -If someone wants to look down on me for my answers to personal questions, well, I don't really need you as a pal anyway. Sure, I'll read your status updates when they're on my news feed, but actual friendship might not be in our future.
      - If my answer sparks a cool convo, we might have lunch at the ferg on Friday to continue. I enjoy intelligent discussions, without an agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment