Monday, October 11, 2010

Peer Edits Smeer Smedits

Reagan, Andie, and I have been playing ring around the rosy with papers and I haven't gotten one yet, so I'm just going to talk about something else.


You know that one friend that always refers to "them"? The same them that has an opinion on everything? You know what "they" say?

Well I have one of those who knows a very odd "them".

Anyway, I live down the street from a very interesting looking church that has an even more interesting design. The name of it is "The Assembly of Divine Reality" and the front of it has a menorah and the star of David.

So, we're driving to my house and my friend looks at me and says, "you know what they say about that church?" I pretended not to hear, once again, remembering how stranger her "they" is. She asked again. "No, I do not know what they say", I replied. "They say that if you walk by that church, the people inside will snatch you up and not let you leave until you convert" she said as easily as one would talk about the weather.

Besides the problem with my friend, where do people come up with the rumors they spread about each other's churches? What fuels such random hatred? This story may be an isolated incident of ignorance to the extreme, but we hear things about religions/ denominations all the time that aren't true. I have looked up some information about the church (not finding much) but certainly nothing about stealing unsuspecting passerby's. I realize her claim is on the outrageous side,  but what about the other people my friend tells? What about the people who walk on the other side of the street their entire lives so they don't get "snatched up"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment