Monday, November 1, 2010

Another look at Scared Space

In class we talked a great deal about sacred space. In my paper I am dedicating a small part to what spaces/places are acceptable to evangelize. Is the call from the telemarketer at 5 a hassel because that is "family time" or just because telemarketers are annoying? The advertisers say you prefer that time, and know that you will be home, just so you know. 


SO, if you were going to be converted, were would be the ideal place you would see it happening? Verbal tactics aside, do you see yourself running into an evangelists arms on the beach in slow motion? Or possibly in front of your college's student union on your way to class? That might be too personal, we're just trying to get to class, buddy. 


I think the best time is the best time. Educated evangelists drop the G bomb when it's a right, and not offensive, or invasive, or awkward. The best time, in my opinion, is when a person knows you well enough to value what you have to say, in a context that is conversational, and a location that is comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. It is true that many "annoying" things, be it telemarketing calls at dinner or people giving out pamphlets and stickers at every corner of campus, but it is an effective strategy. Putting it in the faces of people when they are in public makes it harder for them to say no, and it also gives itself to alot of foot traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... interesting. I think what is most annoying is no one likes to feel like they are being forced to do anything. People are most happy to comply when it is THEIR idea or motive. If I am interested in buying the product, I will seek out a salesperson and see what they have to say. But, if they try to convince me why I need something I have put no forethought into, I am annoyed because if I needed it or wanted it, I'd ask. I feel people are the same with being converted, if someone asks you a question and shows interest, opening the door for you to evangelize then they will probably be interested and willing to hear what you have to say but if you try to shove it in their faces when they don't think they need it they will just tune you out.

    ReplyDelete